Thursday, December 20, 2007

On Wii Play and Racism

Nintendo has a game out called Wii Play that consists of 7 or 8 different games, arranged similarly to Wii Sports, except these games are all mostly just for fun. Theres Tanks, Pose Mii, Table Tennis, and Charge! (Where you ride a cow. It's awesome.)

But there's one game in particular I want to address, called Find Mii. From Wikipedia:

Crowds of Mii characters will gather on the screen, standing, swimming, walking and doing other things, and the player is given certain details to look for among them. The player then must pick out the Miis that match the objective. The objectives range among finding two to five identical Miis; finding the fastest Mii; choosing a favorite and finding it again; or finding the "odd Miis out" (doing things that other Miis aren't).

It seems innocent enough, but this game is a thinly veiled attempt to encourage audience onlookers to participate in extreme racism. And it succeeds. Multiple times in the game, I heard multiple phrases which left me aghast, mostly at the fact that I found myself to be the one saying them. Among them,

The Jew in the bottom right!
The black chick with the fro!
The old bitch with the frown!
The guy with the chinky eyes!

I found myself surprised to be saying these things, but there I was, glued to the screen in total concentration. It is a simple enough premise, yet is absolutely fucking impossible to get any kind of grip on, let alone master. You start off with four Miis, looking for the two twins. Easy enough. Then there's six Miis walking across the screen on a crosswalk, and you have find the fastest one. (Hint: He's running.) Kid stuff. All of a sudden, you'll be presented with a screen filled with roughly 30 Miis swimming, riding an ecalator, running across traffic, and you have to find the one whose step is out of line with everyone else's. It's the only game that has actually made me stand up and scream at the television in a long, long time. And I wasn't even playing.

Also, I played Rock Band. It sucks.

No comments: